Sign In or Register here


Extension Cord Caused Fairfax County Fire That Displaced 9, Say Officials

Posted on Dec 06,2012
Filed Under Just In,
Share  


MERRIFIELD, VA. - One person was hurt and 9 people were displaced from their Fairfax County home after a fire Tuesday night. Fire officials now say the fire was accidental and caused by an overloaded extension cord.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue  officials say crews responded to a townhouse fire at approximately 6:10 p.m. in the 3000 block of Southern Elm Ct. in the Merrifield area. Smoke and fire were coming from the basement, according to officials, and firefighters battled the fire from inside.

Smoke alarms warned residents about the fire. Only one person, an adult, was injured. The adult suffered non-life threatening injuries and was taken to INOVA Fairfax Hospital.

Seven adult and two children have been displaced and the Red Cross is assisting them.

Fire officials say the damage is estimated at $40,000.

Source wusa9



Loading Loading..


Shopping and Services Guide


Exclusive deals from the best locals!

Browse our highlighted partners
Spas, retailers, restaurants and…
so much more.